Tuesday 6 January 2015



Turning Japanese...


At the family table today, conversation veered unexpectedly towards a certain female acquaintance renowned for her desire to stay trim and slim. 

"Well, you know, she is very keen on maintaining a perfect figure. Diets and everything." 

This got me wondering. Normally you are supposed to diet, deprive yourself and fast virtuously, if you want to be fit/healthy/chic. An almost medieval and monastic attitude, if you ask me... 

By far, I infinitely prefer the Japanese approach. Not so long ago, I laid my mitts on a neat little book by Naomi Moriyama, named somewhat cheekily Japanese Women Don't get Old or Fat. Despite the comical over-generalised name, it contains delicious (and easy) recipes to try at home (try the toasted spinach one), and has a great philosophy on dieting - which somehow strikes me as much more chic, easy to follow and elf-like than scary visions of subsisting on an apple a day. 

I was glad to find out that some of the principles from the Japanese diet are something I have been (unwittingly) using already. Like eating only until 80 percent full rule. Or loving buckwheat (though I eat mine as a grain rather than in the noodle form). Other principles still are extremely adorable and just right to try in 2015: how about going the extra mile and making sure your food is aesthetically presented like an artwork... and the portion is much smaller and doll-like? 

And this is the author's website:



Meanwhile... I guess I just like the Japanese approach when it comes to health and beauty so much (not to mention that it looks extremely Elvish and natural too) - that this blog should probably have a whole section on Japanese beauty secrets! What do you think? 


No comments:

Post a Comment